Most Underrated TV Shows

Do you ever get really  frustrated when a tv show you love just doesn't get the recognition it deserves? I do. It drives me mad. I'm...

Do you ever get really frustrated when a tv show you love just doesn't get the recognition it deserves? I do. It drives me mad. I'm a huge tv show person, I binge watch them constantly and I question why so many go unnoticed? I suppose it's because we all have different tastes and opinions, but today for TV Shows week I thought I'd share a short list of underrated tv shows that you should watch - if you haven't already, of course.


1. Political Animals




(TW Warning)

Political Animals is a miniseries which aired in 2012. I've watched it all quite a few times as I love it so much - yes, having Sebastian Stan cast in it gives it extra bonus points but it's genuinely so good and completely underrated. It has brilliant acting, great characters, it's entertaining and talks about important issues. The summary in short? A divorced former First Lady is serving as the Secretary of State who deals with State Department issues all while trying to keep her family together. This is quite a heart wrenching series at times as it touches upon mental health/suicide, what life is like behind closed doors etc and is definitely a must watch.


2. Jessica Jones




(TW Warning)

Ah, Marvel's mysterious Jessica Jones. You may not think that this is underrated, I mean it has won awards but I still think it should be more appreciated. Yes, it's that good. It stars Krysten Ritter and David Tennant, two wonderful actors who both play their parts incredibly. This one season series (but has been renewed for a second season, eek!) is about a former superhero who starts her own detective agency called Alias Investigations based in New York City. The series talks about important issues, too, such as PTSD and assault/rape.

3. Once Upon A Time



I struggle to believe that this brilliant tv show isn't appreciated enough... it has some of the best character development, story links, strong characters and what better than a twisted version of every Disney/fairy tale character you can ever imagine. Really, what better? This series really makes you think hard, it's one of those that you just can't miss a second of because the unimaginable will happen in the blink of an eye - but that's what keeps it interesting and I just love how crazy some of the plot links are. I won't go into too much detail as I'd hate to ruin it for anyone who's not yet watched it. But, seriously, watch it. You won't be disappointed.


4. From Dusk Till Dawn




Before you ask, yes it is partly based on the older movies which starred George Clooney, Salma Hayek and so on. However the series is in a lot more depth compared to the movies - with new characters and backstories and the expansion and depth of the Mesoamerican mythology. Also, you don't have to watch the movies before the series, if you don't want to then go straight into the series! It's up to you. I just really recommend this series. It stars some really brilliant actors such as D.J Cotrona, Wilmer Valderrama, Eiza Gonzalez, Madison Davenport, Robert Patrick and (so many more!)... even Demi Lovato stars in a couple of episodes which I was so happy about!

5. Stalker


A team of detectives who investigate stalkers in Los Angeles. Seems like the typical crime show, right? Well, if you think that then you're wrong. Yes this is a crime show, but you can't compare it. This series is so well put together with a group of very strong characters, especially Maggie Q who plays the lead character whom is both strong and fragile and we get to see both sides to her as the series progresses. How would I describe Stalker? Dark, gripping, unpredictable. And you should most definitely watch it.

6. Z Nation



Z Nation takes place three years after the zombie virus has washed over America, where a team of people must transport the only known survivor of the plague from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood in order to save everyone. I will admit this isn't your normal zombie/post-apocalyptic series, it's more comedic in my opinion but it really is so good. If you're a big zombie fan like myself then you will love this series (just don't compare it to TWD or any other zombie series/movie because that's where you'll go wrong!).

7. Agent Carter



The series is set in 1946, where Peggy Carter is relegated to secretarial duties in the Strategic Scientific Reserve (SSR) all while trying to secretly clear Howard Stark's name after he gets accused of treason. First of all, I am SO mad Agent Carter got cancelled. Why!!?? This was definitely one of the best Marvel series out there. Secondly, let me just say that I absolutely adore Peggy Carter. Peggy is strong, fierce, extremely powerful, someone younger people - especially girls - can look up to, a hero, she battles sexism. She's literally the perfect character all round. 

8. Empire




Empire is a tv show full of scheming and scandals, music, family, drama, jail, never-ending love triangles, power, lies. Not only that but it is a tv show that tackles real-world issues, too, such as homophobia, mental health and even drug addiction. You should know that the music involved in the series is incredible and you'll definitely find yourself listening to some of the songs outside of the series, at least I did! I love all the drama involved (I won't spoil anything for you, don't worry). Although I find it frustrating that every time something seems to be going well, another bomb explodes right in the middle of it all! But that's also what keeps it entertaining - and well worth the watch.



Have you seen these tv shows? Do you agree that they need more recognition? Also, what are you watching right now? I'm currently half way through season two of Pretty Little Liars.


Thanks for reading!


Until next time, be you and keep smiling.





You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. The only one of these I've seen is Agent Carter and I love it! It's one of my favourite shows and Peggy is a massive hero to me. I have heard of some of the other shows you've mentioned and I'll have to check them out - particularly Jessica Jones and Once Upon a Time!

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy is so wonderful! And I really do recommend them!

      Tiffany

      Delete
  2. My best friend watches most of these and even she says that they are underrated !

    -ABY
    a-blog-for-thoughts.blogspot.com.mt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are and it is sooo frustrating!

      Tiffany

      Delete
  3. I need to watch all these! Empire is definitely underrated though! X

    Whitney xoxo
    www.whitneylorenbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are actually a lot of series on this list that I haven't heard of, might have to check some of them out :) x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not watched any of these but I will checking them out for sure, they sound very good x

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.