Unique Christmas Traditions in My Family

Everyone who celebrates Christmas has lots of traditions that they engage in each holiday. There are some traditions; like putting up a Chr...

Everyone who celebrates Christmas has lots of traditions that they engage in each holiday. There are some traditions; like putting up a Christmas tree and decorating it and exchanging gifts, that almost everyone partakes in, but most families have their own traditions that are unique to them. Here are some of the my family's most unique Christmas traditions:

Eclectic Ornaments 


Ever since my first Christmas, my parents have followed a tradition of giving me an ornament to hang on our Christmas tree every Christmas. When my younger brother was born, my parents began to give him Christmas ornaments as well. The ornaments are completely different each year; I have received everything from snowmen to cupcakes to swirly silver globes, and turn our tree into a uniquely decorated hodge-podge of colors and shapes where no two ornaments are the same. I know many people like to have Christmas trees where all of the ornaments have matching designs or fit the same color scheme, but I always find them bland and boring. Each ornament on my family's Christmas tree has its own special memories attached to it, together, they chronicle the history of all the Christmases we've spent together.

Paper Snowflakes



I can't remember exactly when my family began the tradition of making paper snowflakes each Christmas, only that we have made dozens of them each holiday season for as long as I can remember. The steps to folding paper snowflakes are relatively simple and easy to master, but the actual cutting of the paper to create snowflakes can yield an infinite number of different results. As with real snowflakes, no two paper snowflakes are alike.


Fiddle Faddle

Fiddle Faddle is popcorn and peanuts coated in caramel (yes, sort of like Cracker Jack, except that it is superior in every way). It has become traditional in my family to eat lots of Fiddle Faddle during the holiday season, and each family member always receives their own box of Fiddle Faddle on Christmas. This year, we have started a new tradition of giving boxes of Fiddle Faddle to all of our friends as well.


Elvis on top of the Christmas Tree



Instead of an angel, a star, or even Santa Claus, we have always put a picture of Elvis wearing a Santa hat on top of our Christmas tree. Don't ask me why, honestly I'm still not exactly sure.

Do you do any of these things at Christmas as well? What are your family's unique Christmas traditions? I'd love to hear about them in the comments section! 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. THIS! Is a great post to remember what Christmas was like when you were younger if you ever look back on your blog when you are older. The popcorn with peanuts and caramel sound so yummy. I love the ornament tradition. My grandma who sadly passed away use to mail us an ornament every year!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.